Also in 1939, the year The Wizard of Oz was released:
- Germany invades Poland; World War II begins.
- Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings' wins the Pulitzer Prize for her novel The
- Albert Einstein writes a letter to President Roosevelt regarding
the possibility of using uranium to initiate a nuclear chain reaction, the
fundamental process behind the atomic bomb.
- The Daughters of the American Revolution refuse to allow Marian
Anderson to perform at Constitution Hall in Washington, D.C.
- In 1939, The Wizard of Oz grossed just over $3 million; however
the film has continued to make money since it's re-release in 1949. Most
recently, the 1998 re-issue grossed almost $15 million in the United